Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Rule of the Road for Steamers

Rule of the Road for Steamers

When all three Lights I see ahead ~
I port my helm, and show my Red
Green to Green ~ or Red to Red~
Perfect safety ~ Go ahead!

If to Starboard Red appear,
It is my duty to keep clear;
Act as judgment says is proper~
Port ~ or Starboard ~ Back ~ or Stop her!

But when upon my port is seen
A Steamer's Starboard light of Green,
For me there's naught to do, but see
That Green to Port keeps clear of me.

Both in safety and in doubt
I always keep a good look-out;
If in danger, with no room to turn,
I ease her! ~ Stop her! ~ Go astern!
by Thomas Gray, December 1877

No comments:

The Black Buoy

  Louisbourg April thick fog pervades the town and harbour. In the silence between the foghorn hoots a high-powered patrol boat has looked i...